 Off-Topic / Debate / 17255
Re: tolerant morals are a blueprint to disaster (but I don't force a change)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:39:34 GMT

During my teen years there would have been no greater incentive NOT to have
sex than to have to watch my parents going at it.

I'm not sure what degree of humor is intended by either of you, but I've heard
that before and bet you're both wrong. If you had been raised seeing sexual
expression of your parents love as a normal event, you would not be squicked
by the notion right now.

I was indeed being facetious, but I can see the issue you're addressing.
I note that you're already putting a spin on it that presupposes your view
to be right and mine to be wrong; specifically, you are saying that your
favorable emotional response that directly affects only you is correct but
my unfavorable emotional response that directly affects only me is not.
Regardless of the love present in or absent from my parents' coitus, what if
the simple spectacle of them is aesthetically unappealing to me on a visual
level?  Your assertion seems to claim that I must view all human sexuality
as being of equivalent beauty (or at least non-ickiness), and that's simply
not consistent with reality.  As evidence, I ask if you are equally
attracted to every single man, woman, and child you meet?  If not, why not?
And how is it different?
That certainly doesn't mean it's morally bad or damaging to witness one's
parents, however.  Nor does it mean that my parents should have been
obsessively clandestine in their sexuality!
You're basically paraphrasing Diogenes, I believe, who said "if
masturbation be not absurd, then it be not absurd in the marketplace."

    Dave!

K, this one made me laugh out loud.  That would be something to see (but
probably still have a high 'Ick" factor).  Again, something that others can
do, but I probably would *ahem* abstain...

Is like the new law in Ontario which states that women *can* go topless if
they so desire--it was passed about 4-5 years ago.  So far, nada on a
sighting of an exposed female chest (not that I'm looking *too* carefully,
tho...)