 Off-Topic / Debate / 17215
Re: tolerant morals are a blueprint to disaster (but I don't force a change)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:12:56 GMT

STD
omigod!  If I just have sex with my wife, and she just has sex with me, and
everyone does the same thing, whether it's just, or honourable, or preached
from above, or gosh darn it, just the right thing to do, for whatever
reasons, in one generation all *sexually* transmitted diseases would be
gone.  One generation.
And this is not me on a stupid soapbox saying that STD's are some sort of
divine punishment from God 'cause people are sleeping around.

Let's face it -- that's exactly what this is, despite your denial.

Just because you say it is don't make the buttercups shine.

I know what I said and I stand by it.  I am on *record* of supporting same
sex marriages.  I don't care if you want a harem--gov't should *not*
legislate morality.  I know loving and caring gay couples who want to spend
the rest of their lives together in the institution of marriage.  Who am I
to deny them that?  Who is anyone?  You can marry your cousin, sister,
mom--I personally don't care for it does not affect me and my lifestyle.
What does affect me, however, is the consequenses of your actions.  If you
smoke, I am paying for your health care when (in the greater chance of
things) you get cancer.  You are infringing on *my* freedoms due to your own
stupid choices.  If you get an STD, same thing.  Science has shown us that
sleeping with family members has a better chance of having a baby with birth
defects.  So don't sleep with your sister, even if you want to 'nail her'.

Getting away from that infringement of *my* freedoms ('cause someone's gonna
ask if I drive a car now), your life, your consequenses.  Forgetting STD's
then, if, as I said, you firmly believe that you're marriage won't end in a
disaster where the lawyers are gonna make lotsa money, go ahead, have your fun.

But understand there *is* an inherent risk.  If you're willing to take that
risk, all the power to you.  I, for *myself* and myself alone, do not plan
to follow you down that path.  Like smoking, you can live to be a hundred
(like George Burns) or you could get cancer at 25 (like a cousin).

Some people dodge the bullet all their lives from the choices they make.
Some don't.  I like my morals--they keep me from getting in front of the bullet.

That's what I mean--nothing to do with 'Xianity' or Xian values.

If diseases cannot succeed in one way, they will do so in another way.  Or
put another way: the diseases whose transmissal routes are frustrated will
die; but the diseases whose transmissal routes are not frustrated will >flourish.

And we'll look to the scientists to save us again so we can continue to have
our fun and not deal with the consequenses of our actions.  How's that
philosphpy working so far?

Consider Legionnaire's disease.  The mere existence of this disease so late
in the game (1976) is probably yet even more proof that something very like
the activities described in the theories of evolution and natural selection
are obviously at work.

-- Hop-Frog

And the resistant bacteria and viruses.  Yeah, I read the journals.  Now
what?  A more effective antibiotic?  Just like the missle shield to protect
us from ICBM's from 'the other side' they'll just develop a smarter missle.

I don't have an easy solution.  I am thankful that more intelligent minds
than mine (and hopefully yours) are at work on these very problems.  I still
sleep at night, and I reduce the number of bullets whizzing my way as much
as possible.  Mayhaps Darwin was right--survival of the most intelligent--if
*my* morals help me dodge all these bullets, I say go ahead and step in
front of a few to all you out there...

Dave K.