 Off-Topic / Debate / 17203
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:50:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

I have a problem with this form of the Golden Rule -- it's in the form of an
exhortation to some kind of action.  I prefer "Do not unto others as you
would have others not do unto you."  Point being:  I want to be left alone.
The form you have quoted allows people the possibility of annoying each
other with stuff so long as whatever it is they are offering is something
that they would want to be offered themselves.  For example: Xtians might
like to have all kinds of Xtian stuff preached at them and try pulling that
on me -- doing unto me as they like having done to themselves.  Uh uh, no
thanks!

'An it harm none, thy will be done'

Right.  Are you minding your own business?  Does what you are doing harm
anyone else?  Good stuff.

"Fergus spake these words and he said, This shall be my Creed, whereby shall
I live my life as it were a shining example of Virtue and Excellence, well
worthy to be enshrined in Heaven as a model for all who are to follow.  My
Creed shall into three parts be divided.  Firthly, I shall constrain myself
to Mind My Own Business.  Secondly, I shall endeavor at all times and in all
places to Keep My Nose Clean, by the most expedient possible means.
Thirdly, and finally, I shall always exercise the utmost to Keep My Hands to
Myself."

Kudos to who can spot the source first (mine is a first edition copy, 1969).

Bruce
Scandalous Quotes Shoehorned Into Place R Us