 Off-Topic / Debate / 17200
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:26:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Brown writes:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

I have a problem with this form of the Golden Rule -- it's in the form of an
exhortation to some kind of action.  I prefer "Do not unto others as you
would have others not do unto you."  Point being:  I want to be left alone.
The form you have quoted allows people the possibility of annoying each
other with stuff so long as whatever it is they are offering is something
that they would want to be offered themselves.  For example: Xtians might
like to have all kinds of Xtian stuff preached at them and try pulling that
on me -- doing unto me as they like having done to themselves.  Uh uh, no
thanks!

'An it harm none, thy will be done'

Right.  Are you minding your own business?  Does what you are doing harm
anyone else?  Good stuff.

Don't much care for Wiccans either though...to my mind they're just another
at least semi-dogmatic group.

Give me chaos -- give me freedom -- give me my way.

-- Hop-Frog