 Off-Topic / Debate / 17177
Re: Evolution vs Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:48:30 GMT

I think the issue here was my interpretation of your specific problem with
Creationism wherein you said:

Creationism is not falsifiable, does not make any predictions that can be
tested, fundamentally undermines empirical observation, and is not repeatable
in any meaningful sense.  For these reasons Creationism is *NOT* science

The issue I was attempting to discuss here (if you trace back) is with the
2nd item in your list: "does not make any predictions that can be tested".
Now, I took that to mean something along the lines of "doesn't further
assist our understanding of the universe by creating useful information".

  Again, I've been basing my argument on the notion of the Xtian
interpretation of Genesis re: infinite Creator.  All bets are off once an
infinite entity steps into the equation, so my objection stands.  This is
also, by the way, why studies into the purported medical benefits of prayer
are doomed to be non-scientific.
  If we're simply taking about "creator entity X" (and up till now I haven't
been), then we enter an arena in which some theories remain falsifiable, but
it's still necessary to establish the nature of the creator entity so that
we can address how that entity's existence messes up the observations.

So, let's rephrase: I'd like to consider theories which have empirical
evidencial support, yet yield no *further* 'useful' information or *further*
areas in which to test (IE *IF* this theory is true, here's *another* thing
we could test/use based on and ONLY on its truth, apart from existing
evidence), as still plausibly scientific. And, I'm thinking you'd probably
agree. And just in case we still need an example, it sounds like the below
one works fine:

  I've done more reading on this specific subject and have come up with a
few more criteria by which distinctions can be made.  As always,
www.skepdic.com has good information re: critical thought, so I'll quote the
currently relevant bit directly:

The fact that a theory passed an empirical test does not prove the theory,
however. The greater the number of severe tests a theory has passed, the
greater its degree of confirmation and the more reasonable it is to accept
it. However, to confirm is not the same as to prove logically or
mathematically. No scientific theory can be proved with absolute certainty.
http://skepdic.com/science.html

  Before anyone jumps on that last sentence, let me remind the readers that
the pro-science posters here have always made that exact point and have
generally (and correctly) idenfitied it as a strength of science.
  But wait, there's more:

Furthermore, the more tests which can be made of the theory, the greater its
empirical content (Popper, 112, 267). A theory from which very few empirical
predictions can be made will be difficult to test and generally will not be
very useful. A useful theory is rich or fecund, i.e., many empirical
predictions can be generated from it, each one serving as another test of the
theory. Useful scientific theories lead to new lines of investigation and new
models of understanding phenomena that heretofore have seemed unrelated
(Kitcher). This feature of fecundity is probably the main difference between
the theory of natural selection and the theory of special creation. The
theory of special creation has not led to new discoveries, better
understanding, or increased understanding of the relatedness of areas within
the field of biology or between such fields as biology and psychology. As
such, the theory of special creation is nearly useless. And, since the theory
is put forth as dogma, it is the antithesis of a scientific theory.
also from http://skepdic.com/science.html

  Obviously there's no ironclad, universal definition of what science is,
but there are certainly some things that it is not.
  Another necessary distinction is that a theory may be falsifiable, but if
it's also *false* (such as literal biblical creation) then the theory's
worth (scientific or explanatory) is just about zero.

In your re-modified example above, your prediction is now:  "A comet that
came from the asteroid belt should have trajectory X."  Then you test it
and, through observation, determine whether the comet has trajectory X.  If
it does, then you have another piece of evidence to support your hypothesis
that the comet came from the asteroid group.  If it does not, then either
your hypothesis is incorrect and needs to be adjusted, or the comet did
*not* come form the asteroid belt.

Sounds like you think it's a scientific theory.

  When did I say it wasn't?  In
http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=17131
you tried to make the point that a theory need not make predictions in order
to be scientific, but in support you provided an excellent example of a
theory that does make predictions.  *That* is what I've been trying to show.
Your asserted intent was to provide a scientific theory that made no
predictions, but you didn't do so.
  I would go further to say that, based on the trajectory and chemical
composition data (let's pretend that the comet didn't blip into the sun),
you would have a basis for forming additional theories about other celestial
bodies.  This is the principal of fecundity as mentioned above; your theory
receives confirmation through observation, and from that basis you can form
other theories, which may confirm themselves and, by extension, the original
theory.  See how it works?

     Dave!