 Off-Topic / Debate / 17125
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:34:34 GMT

Once again, the difference is jumping species.  Whether it's 2 years or 2
thousand years, or 2 million years, a fish is still a fish.  Sure, it
adapted over the course of those millions of years to climate changes, grew
a new fin to help it swim, but it's still a fish.  What tells me something
right away is the substansive dismissal of any theory that doesn't fit the
required wordview.  'I believe that there is no god so I'm going to
interpret what I see today this way to prove there's no god.'  Sure, the
reverse is true 'Oh there *is* a god and here's why we can say that...'
Whatever.  I'm not a "Scientific Creationist", nor am I a scientist.  I'm a
guy who gets paid to fix computers all day.

Of course a fish is still a fish.  I mean, what else would it be?  If you
are trying to state (but not quite saying it) that a fish can never evolve
into another species, that's easy to answer: yes it can.  I think you are
really trying to say it can't evolve into another Genus, or Family, or
Order, or on up the taxonomic scale (in point of fact, we have bred things
that can no longer mate and produce viable offspring with the original
species but can have viable offspring with themselves, forming a new
species).  Anyway, we are talking about millions and millions of years.
Keep making small changes millenia after millenia after millenia after
millenia and you end up with something similiar but at the same time quite
different (say Chimps and Humans).

   Also, fish aren't fish.  There is no class, subclass, order, family,
   genus, or species known as "fish."  What we know colloquially as fish
   are in fact four (maybe five now) classes of vertebrates that happen to
   all share certain features that adapt them for life at sea.

   Lines between phylogenic categories are fluid because every member
   of a species is slightly different from all other members, and these
   divisions are convenient ways for human beings to group observed
   populations.  Evoution would never suggest that a fish would suddenly
   give birth to frogs. That's a major misrepresentation that creationists
   sometimes make about evolution.

As to the rest, evolution does not address God in any way, shape or form, so
you'll have to be more specific about your complaints.  Darwin's major area
of study in college was theology, by the way.

   And, of course, before evolutionary theory everyone was a Creationist!
   Darwin et al had to fight the battle against creationism entrenched
   in the academy--its evidence was so overwhelming that thinking men
   and women quickly came to the realization that special creation was
   not a viable scientific theory.

   (And, of course, Darwin started out a creationist too--but never
   went back; the "deathbed recantation" is a great urban legend.)

Chloresterol is good for you--oh wait, it isn't--oh wait it is, but only
certain types.  Science fudges many many things.

No.  Science changes its mind about things as new evidence presents itself.
Darwin's theories are hardly the state of evolutionary thought.
Creationists never admit that they could be wrong.  They just made up new
numbers out of the blue (site me why the firm date was changed and how the
new numbers (which never admit possible wrong with the 6000 year figure)
were arrived at).

   Evolution is a moving target.  It's easier for creationists to
   attack Darwin's 19th-century work with their own data, which are
   often 30 years or more out of date (and proven wrong, like the
   moon dust influx data from 1954).

Smoking was considered
healthy at one time, so was heroin.  Getting away from the biological
science, up until 1967 it was a scientifically held principle that the inert
elements (y'know, the ones at the end of the periodic table) could not,
under *any* circumstance, partake in a chemical reaction.  That was the held
belief until an inquisitive student in some university showed that, well,
eys they could react.  1967.  The year I was born.  Don't go telling me
about fudging.  Yes science is an evolutionary process, and the more we
learn the more we can 'fix' the underlying ideas of how and why things are
the way they are.  But don't go knocking the 'Christian Scientists' for
something that 'regular' scientists have been doing for years.

Give me the specifics as to why, then.  You are confusing changing due to
new information with dodging the bullet.

   Also, creationists don't change the theory.  They find a new workaround
   that allows them to claim Biblically literal truth is unviolated.
   (I still love the "water vapor canopy" thing--yes, they now feel they
   know where Flood water came from, but they can never quite grapple with
   the problem of where all that water *went*...)

'cause the very word 'evolution' infers change.  Things don't change, which
is contrary to the very concept of evolution.  If we were to take the base
principles of evolution, that things must change, or adapt, as the world
changes--but wait--here's a fish that was supposedly extinct for millions of
years swimming around.  'But', the evolutionists say, 'mayhaps some fishes
stayed the same and others underwnent the change'.  Well, that contradicts
the evolutionary process, 'cause if change happens because it *has* to
happen, and one thing didn't change, then none of the others would have had
to change, either.

If something is successful, it doesn't have to change.  Sharks have been
around for 100 million years, longer than Tyrannasaurus Rex.  There is no
contradiction.  You are seizing upon a half-understood concept and
extrapolating a specious conclusion from it.  This is typical of the
Creationist attempts to denigrate evolution.

   Actually, longer.  Sharks arose during the early Pennsylvanian,
   some 300-325 mya.  See my note about the pace of shark and
   crossopterygian evolution--they do still modify, just not
   visibly and rapidly.

   best

   LFB