 Off-Topic / Debate / 17096
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:43:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joseph Williams writes:
When anthropologists encountered stone age tribes in Africa they exposed
them to many objects of the industrial world including pictures. They didn't
perceive them as a representative image, let alone the object they were
depicting.

  I call "bullhockey."  Citation, please.  This just screams
  residual imperial mentality and the racist anthropology of
  the pre-WWI era--and the fact that you use it to make a
  point about nonhumans is extremely problematic.

  (probably should clarify--I'm not calling you racist, but calling
  the example one that's generated by racist hierarchy and totally
  useless in the context.)

  -LFB
thanks for clarifying to me that I'm not a racist there, I was wondering
about that for awhile now, nice for you to set me straight. As far as it
being a useless point out of context, I was replying to a statement that
dolphins could not see themselves in a mirror: a 2 dimensional plane
representing an image. Since the discussion was about the relevance of a
human soul and lack thereof in other animals it seemed relevant to me. Are
you in denial that there are tribes of humans that are stone age or recently
have been? The fact that I mention one from Africa does not mean I'm making
a broad sweeping classifacation that all of Africans are in the Stone age.
As far as citations go this one isn't bang on my topic but :
http://www.fsmitha.com/~fesmitha/h1/ch00.htm
'In modern times, Stone Age people seeing a photograph of themselves
believed that the photographer had captured something of their spirit and
often for this reason they objected to being photographed.'
I can't remember the exact instance of what I'm referring to but I'm sure it
popped up somewhere in my 4 years taking archaeology and anthropology.
Saying that statement is racist is like saying our skin colour is different
due to our geographic latitude. And mabye it sounds like pre-ww1 era
anthropology because it probably happened during that era * shrugs * what's
the problem?

Joseph