 Off-Topic / Debate / 17070
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:10:07 GMT

These are two really different things.  For the record, Christmas is not a
Christian holy day -- it is a pagan holiday.

I think you are confusing it with the pagan celebration of the winter solstice
(Christmas was traditionally celebrated on the day when there was the least
amount of light-- in the northern hemisphere:-)-- as the day when the light
came into the world.  Calender changes moved Christmas from the 21st to the
25th).  But it is certainly a Christian holy day.

Some of its practices are even
condemned in as ancient a text as the book of Jeremiah (probably as >idolatry):

<snipped Bible-thumping> (that was a joke:-)

Haven't we gone over this before?  Anyone that thinks Christmas is anything
but a commercial/bogus holiday is just not paying attention very much.  Of
course, this kind of thing doesn't surprise me concerning Xtians...

1. Yes, ground covered.

2. You may not be paying attention in the places where Christmas still has
religious meaning.

3. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take that last sentence as a
good-natured troll...

-John