 Off-Topic / Debate / 17031
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:29:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Joseph Williams writes:
In the end, reality is as we perceive it, not as it "truly" is.

does existential second guessing paranoia work in other areas of your life?
yes we can all pretend that we're in the matrix but I'd sooner make
decisions based on commonly agreed upon fact of our time, unless proven
otherwise. Who has time to consider whether the peanut butter is really
there before you go to make a sandwich.

Oh, it helps-- but only insofar as whether or not I want to argue with
people. It helps my sense of wanting to be "right" by saying "hey, they can
believe what they want". In other words, by believing in such a theory, I'm
less inclined to adamantly fight for what I believe to be "right". I may
still put in some words, but when it comes down to it, if I've explained my
side as best I can, there's nothing more I *can* do and nothing more that
*needs* doing.

DaveE

it's a nice universal way of summarizing. as long as it's not taken to a
kilgore trout level it's interesting speculation. although I am an adament
supporter of evolution, it is on a level of faith. I havn't looked through
the microscopes or done the carbon dating. I have faith in learned
researchers whom I have respect for and how they present their ideas. And it
is just faith in my perceptions that I think Madagascar is there. I'm not
sure if I will ever go there and it's only visual and audio media that has
given me any sensory input about it's existence.. no physical or tangible
manifestations. I wouldn't be so bold as to dismiss someone's assertion in
whatever Creationist/Animist view of the Universe as that my own beliefs I
personally can not scientifically verify as that I am not sitting in a lab
with all the available resources that the theories are based on. And also I
believe in aliens, Yeti's and giant squid.

Joseph