 Off-Topic / Debate / 16970
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 21:38:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
Something just struck me wrong when I read this...

Back up there, schoolboy.  Atheists *can* be categorized insofar as that they
all have one thing in common that binds them-- no belief in God.  But you would
be hard pressed to find a single common belief among *all* Christians, short of
their belief in God (in which case you are hardly talking about Christians in
particular).

Back up there, schoolboy.  Christians *can* be categorized insofar as that they
all have one thing in common that binds them-- belief in God.

But then you wouldn't be talking about *only* Christians.  If belief in God is
your sole criteria, then you would have only a small portion of the group if
you were speaking of Christians-- Muslims, Jews, Deists, etc would be a part of
that group as well.  You would have no way to separate Christians from the
other God-believing groups.

  But you would
be hard pressed to find a single common belief among *all* Atheists, short of
their lack of belief in God (in which case you are hardly talking about
Atheists in particular).

Because they don't have any (When we talk about beliefs, we are talking about
*religious* beliefs).  They are defined by their complete lack of religious
beliefs.

Further, I attacked *extremist* Muslims, which are a group who *all* believe in
the concept of jihad and find the killing of innocents *perfectly* acceptable.
You *will not* find such agreement in Christianity, or any other religion
AFAIK (although you *might* find it in some *extreme* fringe group, but they
would be condemned by the group as a whole anyway).  The equation of such
extremist groups and their larger groups is what I find objectionable.

so...

I could attack *extremist* Christians,

Yes, of course.  That is my point.

which are a group who *all* believe in
the concept of bombings and find the killing of innocents *perfectly*
acceptable.  You *will not* find such agreement in Islam,

Not true.  There *are* Muslims who condemn Muslim extremists-- I only wish more
would speak out against it.

or any other religion
AFAIK (although you *might* find it in some *extreme* fringe group, but they
would be condemned by the group as a whole anyway).  The equation of such
extremist groups and their larger groups is what I find objectionable.

Can't you see how much you're contridicting yourself?

No.  I think you are either missing my point or making an incorrect analogy or
both.  Regardless, your splicing up my post is obfuscating.

-John