 Off-Topic / Debate / 16923
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 20:54:42 GMT

Something, or someone started this mess we call life, for before the Big
Bang, what was there?

Precisely.

And all said, we will never know.  The theories of Evolution and "Creationism"
(I'd call it a belief, not a theory, but whatever) are 2 sides of the same
coin.  *Neither* are proveable, and the debate is similar to the "existence of
God" one-- futile.  Neither side will ever be able to prove one way or another
that they are correct.

What I object to is the characterization by evolutionists is that *their*
theory somehow has more merit merely because it has the potential (however nil)
to be proved via emperical evidence.  Evolution is not taught as a *theory*,
but as a *fact*, with the implication being that anyone believing otherwise is
ignorant.

In the same vein, atheists tend to characterize those who believe in God as
anti-intellectual-- as if their position is in some way more valid!  The
double-standard is so pretentious and dishonest!

The fact is that the evidence supporting evolution is highly problematic and
lacking, but since we don't have any better *science-based* theories, we
teach it.

If we were honest, we would begin the discussion of the origin of life with the
acknowledgement that we have no idea how it all started-- how something could
come from nothing.  In that context, boiled down to their essence, evolution
and creationism are equal-- both cannot explain the origin of their origins.

And yet one is touted as being intellectually superior to the other.

To assert that the application of science to the study of origins has any more
merit than religion is simply dishonest.

In the end, *both* require leaps of faith.  It's just that one won't
acknowledge it, and worse, it criticizes the other for it.

-John