 Off-Topic / Debate / 16922
Re: Evolution vs Scientific Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 20:37:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Koudys writes about micro- and macro- evolution:
Its totally different--is night and day different--one the species remains
the same species--not like the other one which a species changes into
another species.

That's just not so.  In once case, the progenitor organism is very much like,
but not identical to, the new organism.  In the other case, the progenitor
organism is very much like, but not identical to, the new organism.  In the
case of speciation, the "new" organism is usually unable to breed with the old
one.  And, correct me if I'm wrong, that's all.

You are wrong, and I will correct you. According to scientists (including
non-Creationist), the definitions are these:

Microevolution: The theory that natural selection, over time, take an
organism and transform it into a more specialized species of that organism

Macroevolution: The hypothesis that the same processes which work in
microevolution can, over eons of time, transform an organism into a
completely different kind of organism

Microevolution is simply variation in an organism within its genetic code. I
contain the genetic material for every member of the human species, as do
you. As does a dog for its species. Thus, microevolution is completely
understandable in terms of Mendelian genetics. In order for macroevolution
to occur, a species would have to add to it's genetic code. This can only
happen through mutation.

An interesting fact is that there is no beneficial recorded mutation in any
species.

Time frame, I agree, is irrelevant--50 years or 50000

Agree with whom?

years, we're still going to lose our wisdom teeth due to the environment
that we happen to be in

The dentist's office?   :-)

Ah ha.

--does not make us less human than we were 50000 years ago.

You could say, more human actually.  Homo sapiens sapiens arose about 120,000
years ago, but we have changed substantially during that time.  But over about
500,000 years ago "we" were not human.

We know what you believe, Chris. No need to restate unless you're making a
point.

<snip>

Curt