 Off-Topic / Debate / 16873
    Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) Umm...do you know what it costs to incarcerate people. I don't have numbers in front of me, but I can only imagine that it would be cheaper for the US taxpayer to help them than to jail them. Chris (22 years ago, 4-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. —John Neal
   (...) Do you know the percentage of crimes committed which are perpetrated by repeat offenders? If we just keep them in jail the first time, crime would plummet. -John (22 years ago, 4-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) in (...) No, I don't. What is it? And what counts as a crime when compiling those numbers? And why is it that you think crimes that take place in prison are less important? I think the overall effect on the economy of fixing those who can be (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

        Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. —John Neal
   (...) I'd have to remember where I saw it, but something like 70% of all violent crimes are committed by repeat offenders. And what counts as a crime when compiling those (...) I don't think I ever asserted that. (...) *They* are a necessary evil to (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jul-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)