 Off-Topic / Debate / 16858
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 18:48:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Simon Bennett writes:

That leads me to an interesting conclusion - a state born from the US could
improve on the mistakes made in 1776-89.  Is there one? Well funnily enough
yes. Liberia.

Over to you John to prove, based only on the laws of that country, that
Liberians are less free than citizens of the US.

Simon

Thank you Simon, for bringing up Liberia.  Any nation whose Constitution
guarantees the freedoms of its people deserves to be included among the
greatest nations on earth.  The table is set for that country-- the
possibilities for them are endless...

I was browsing their Constitution (thanks for the link, Dave!) and I found 2
interesting things WRT your comment that they "improved" upon the US
Constitution.

First, Article 14:

All persons shall be entitled to freedom of thought, conscience and religion
and no person shall be hindered in the enjoyment thereof except as may be
required by law to protect public safety, order, health, or morals or the
fundamental rights and freedoms of others. All persons who, in the practice of
their religion, conduct themselves peaceably, not obstructing others and
conforming to the standards set out herein, shall be entitled to the protection
of the law. No religions denomination or sect shall have any exclusive
privilege or preference over any other, but all shall be treated alike; and no
religious tests shall be required for any civil or military office or for the
exercise of any civil right. Consistent with the principle of separation of
religion and state, the Republic shall establish no state religion.

Sounds a lot like our 1st Amendment.  But here's the interesting part.  Check
out their preamble:

We the People of the Republic of Liberia:

Acknowledging our devout gratitude to God for our existence as a Free,
Sovereign and Independent State, and relying on His Divine Guidance for our
survival as a Nation;

Realizing from many experiences during the course of our national existence
which culminated in the Revolution of April 2, 1980, when our Constitution of
July 26, 1847 was suspended, that all of our people, irrespective of history,
tradition, creed or ethnic background are of one common body politic;

Exercising our natural, inherent and inalienable rights to establish a
framework of government for the purpose of promoting unity, liberty, peace,
stability, equality, justice and human rights under the rule of law, with
opportunities for political, social, moral, spiritual and cultural advancement
of our society, for ourselves and for our posterity; and

Having resolved to live in harmony, to practice fraternal love, tolerance and
understanding as a people and being fully mindful of our obligation to promote
African unity and international peace and cooperation,

Do hereby solemnly make, establish, proclaim and publish this Constitution for
the governance of the Republic of Liberia.

It is extremely interesting to me that they can acknowledge God and yet at the
same time assert that the government shall establish no religion.

-John

And I guess that's also the point here--the gov't can say, 'Yes, we as a
nation believe there's a God, but the individuals in the nation can believe
whatever they please' and do this without having a 'State Run Religion'.

Anywho, this has been a most interesting discussion and I am reminded once
again that the people here are very intelligent and have the ability to find
data and info to enhance their POV.

Nicely done.

Dave