 Off-Topic / Debate / 16828
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:32:44 GMT

This point has come up before in other forms, but there's something that's
always messed me up.  I thought (but am happy to be corrected) that the
Supreme Court has Constitutionally-granted authority to judge the
Constitionality of laws.  Am I wrong in this?

I thought that was the entire mandate of the Supreme Court--to judge whether
or not any law is unconstitutional, and if found to be against the
Constitution, to be removed.

I'm not looking up the specifics, but as I recall, in the first years of the
Supreme Court, maybe during the reign of Madison(?), the court decided that
some big name law passed by Congress (that we should all remember, but I can't)
was unconstitutional.  That was the first time and the power was not in their
mandate.  But everyone let it happen, so it was magically their highest
function.

I expect Lindsay or Richard (or someone) will correct me with the real story.

Chris