 Off-Topic / Debate / 16787
16786  |  16788
Subject:
One nacho, underpants, with licorice and jugs of wine for owls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 17:32:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeremy Scott writes:
I cannot believe that this discussion board, Lugnet, has become an place for
antidisestablishmenttarians to comment on what is going on in other people's
countries, and describe their mental high on an issue that is controversial.
We talk about Lego here, not racism, foreign relations or anything else. All
this trash that shows up here, especially from Mr. Dave Schuler, makes me sick!

  As of the last census, I was born and still live in the US of A, and I
vote, work, and pay taxes here, so my discussions of "my" country tend
generally to involve the US.  In addition, your sesquipedalian label isn't
entirely accurate, since I haven't tried to antidisestablish anything;

   "sesquipedalian" is hereby my Word of the Day.  But I never knew you
   were missing half of one of your feet, Dave!

I simply don't understand how the US Congress can legislate the phrase "Under
God" without it being a literal State-establishment of religion. After your
Schuler-induced nausea has passed, perhaps you can explain this bit to me.
I'm sure your concern stems from the popular view that "Under God" is a
not an endorsement of religion at all, but is rather a traditional
invocation.  With that in mind, I'm sure you'd have no trouble if The Pledge
were changed to "One nation, hail Satan, with liberty and justice for all."
By the way--I think you meant "antiestablishmentarians," since I am,
according to your view, trying to dissolve the establishment, as opposed to
opposing those who would try to dissolve the establishment.

   Besides, "Under God" was added in 1954, and has no place in the
   original Pledge.  I've seen letters in local newspapers--both right
   and left--from WWII vets who are delighted to see a "wrong" being
   undone.  But for every one of those, there's someone who has a big
   problem with it.  No doubt the Supremes will nix the decision, not
   because it's a bad decision but just because they will.

   best

   LFB!

   (Hey, can I say the "Life in Hell" pledge, that goes like this:

    I pledge allegiance to the flakes
    of the untitled snakes of a merry cow
    And to the Republicans for which they scam
    One nacho, underpants, with licorice and jugs of wine for owls.

    -Matt Groening)