 Off-Topic / Debate / 16780
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 04:32:36 GMT

John wrote:

Inserting "under god" into official statements or worse, into things that
people have to *affirm to be citizens* (all new citizens are required to
recite the pledge and I know of no provision for omitting words as the
reciter so chooses), is *intolerance*. It is intolerance of a belief system
or world view that does no harm to others in and of itself, and that I
cannot tolerate.

"Under God" isn't intolerate.  It may discriminate, but not it's not
intolerate.  And so what if a person wants to become a citizen of this country
and is required to cite "under God".  Nobody is forcing them to become a
citizen.  Nobody is even forcing them to believe in a God that this nation is
supposedly (to them) under!

You'd better elaborate on this, John, because the above statement makes you sound
like a truly disgusting person without further expansion.  It makes you sound like
you're saying "if they don't say "under God", they shouldn't become citizens?

Or they should lie as their first official statemement as a citizen if they don't
believe in God or any supreme being?

What a repugnant thought.  Are you really that much of a bigot?

We are the greatest nation to have ever existed.  So if it ain't broke, why
fix it?

It is broke, it was broken in 1954, and people are trying to fix it.  Why can't you
get that?  Is it really that hard for you to understand such an extremely simple
point?

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/