 Off-Topic / Debate / 16738
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 03:06:32 GMT

Hmm.  Check out this letter from TJ written in 1803-- perhaps you don't know
EXACTLY what he thought about Christianity after all:
http://www.angelfire.com/co/JeffersonBible/jeffbsyl.html

Um..okay.  My advice is that you go and read more extensively on this subject.

While Jefferson embraced the ideas of Christ (perhaps the parables, sort of
the red letter stuff), he was fairly hostile to the idea of Christ's
divinity and to certain aspects of the gospels (esp. Pauline thought).  I
don't think that reference makes the argument that you think it does.
Jefferson was speaking of these things very much in the abstract and not as
a believer, taking what he liked and leaving what he didn't like. And FWIW,
I knew of this reference.

If you have any more to say, you will be saying it in a vacuum, I'm done
with it.  You should read more.

-- Hop-frog