 Off-Topic / Debate / 16725
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:02:46 GMT

Mentioning 'libel' everytime you (now see, the difference here is
you=everyone) don't like reading something will be the end of debate and
discussion, imho

  Since I'm the one who mentioned your libelous comments, I'll address this.
You mischaracterize me (and thereby attempt a straw-man argument) by
suggesting that I cry libel whenever I read something I dislike--that's
simply not the case.  I claim libel when a false accusation is made against
me in writing, as you appeared twice to have done.
  However, now that it's been disclaimed that the use of "you" does not
necessarily indicate "you, the person against whom I am debating," I can
re-read your [Dave K's] comments from that perspective.  Lacking such a
disclaimer, some of your statements cannot be distinguished from personal
accusations. Consider the tenor of such statements as:

The People believe in some god.  So shaddap when you say they don't.

  This is both accusation of denial and a command for silence

So stop trying to rewrite history, stop trying to say that
we have to go to the lowest common denominator that states 'oh we don't want
to offend *anybody* 'cause you're offending *me* when you do that.

  This is a triple accusation; that I'm rewriting history, that I'm
appealing to the LCD, and that I'm offending you.

  If you [Dave K.] truly intend such comments as these to be generic,
you-equals-one-in-general statements, then it would serve you well to adopt
a less obviously personal means of address.

     Dave!