 Off-Topic / Debate / 16723
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:08:25 GMT

John:

The founding fathers were not religious and they were certainly not
christians -- and that's putting it mildly. More anon...

I have not mentioned any particular religion so far, so for you to is a little
puzzling...

If the FF weren't religious, why envoke the name of God in the D of I?

This country was *not* founded by a group of Atheists;

I am sure at least some critical members actually were; or if not, they were
merely deists[1] -- which is sort of like being an agnostic, but with more
contempt for the "creator."  Ultimately, I think it was politically
expedient to not deny the existence of god -- it being a good way to wring
needed support from "believers" (a.k.a. the lowest common denominator).

So why should *now* be any different? (As any politician will soon find out who
dares agree with this whacky ruling)

At the core of our greatness lies the belief in one God.

Nonsense.  Our greatness, if there is such, lies in our political philosophy
-- which has nothing to do with god.

At the core of our political philosophy is the believe in inalienable rights,
authored from God, not men. (from the DOI)

This country is the way it is because it is the way it is-- change it at its
core and you get a different country.

Welcome to the new world.

Or, if you want a different world, go start a new one.

-John