 Off-Topic / Debate / 16719
Re: One nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 18:30:37 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/06/26/pledgeofallegiance.ap/index.html

Wow.  For the life of me I can't imagine why this never happened before, but
I'm delighted by it.

I'm confused by it.

Before we get into why, I want to state clearly that I oppose the practice of
reciting the PoA in schools with every ounce of my being -- but not
particularly because of the God thing.  Such childhood political indoctrination
is antithetical to my understanding of what it means to be an American.
Foremost, if we must brainwash our children with divisive statist messages in
order for them to feel positive about our nation, then what are we really
worth?  Beyond that, the individual responsibilities entailed by the freedoms
that we in this nation experience, require an open and powerful mind --
unclouded by such uncritical examination.

My confusion arises from not understanding what constitutional doctrine is
being abused.  The first amendment reads "Congress shall make no law respecting
an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."  So
what exactly is the court upset with?  When it says "congress" does it really
mean "Congress and all inferior legislative bodies and governing agencies
including municipal water districts?"

Which rules trickle down from the constitution into every facet of life in
America and which ones don't?

Aboe, I listed the political reasons that I oppose the Pledge.  In addition
that those, I suffered personally because I refused to take part in the PoA as
a kid.  I think it is completely inappropriate for schools to allow any kind of
victimization regardless of the cause, and I'd oppose the Pledge just as a
safety factor also, but it seems like a school's decision, not the courts'.

Chris