 Off-Topic / Debate / 1651
    OS advocacy (was: Re: Perl rules!) —Christopher L. Weeks
   (...) Right, I think it's a bad argument tactic to suggest that Macs are cheaper than Intel hardware. It just ain't so. But, they are faster, more reliable, easier to use, easier to maintain, less reliant on MS (which matters to some), and home to (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: OS advocacy (was: Re: Perl rules!) —Jasper Janssen
     (...) No. They are neither faster, nor cheaper, nor faster per unit of currency spent. It used to be, back in the glory days of PowerPC, that the fastest Mac boxes beat the fastest Intel boxes. Not any more. You do realise that the fastest Intel box (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

        Re: OS advocacy (was: Re: Perl rules!) —Chris Phillips
   (...) Unfortunately, there's raw speed and then there's effective speed. Today's Windows machine takes anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes to boot, in my experience. And from what I've seen, Macs aren't any better. Does anyone here remember the Apple ][ ? (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)