 Off-Topic / Debate / 1655
Re: OS advocacy (was: Re: Perl rules!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:30:41 GMT

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:33:38 GMT, "Christopher L. Weeks"
<c576653@cclabs.missouri.edu> wrote:

Right, I think it's a bad argument tactic to suggest that Macs are
cheaper than Intel hardware.  It just ain't so.  But, they are faster,

No. They are neither faster, nor cheaper, nor faster per unit of
currency spent. It used to be, back in the glory days of PowerPC, that
the fastest Mac boxes beat the fastest Intel boxes. Not any more.

You do realise that the fastest Intel box out of off-the-shelf
components would be a dual P-III 550 (which would actually be cheap),
and the fastest custombuilt would have to be an octal P-III Xeon 550?
(reaching, BTW, $16k in processors alone.. ouch.). Even for .. what's
the most expensive desktop Mac on the market? Let's be generous and
and call it $5k, I can build you a _screamer_ of an intel box. Hell,
that Dual P-III 550 would probably be cheaper than that.

more reliable, easier to use, easier to maintain, less reliant on MS

Reliable: if you compare to Win9x, and not NT, linux, QNX, BeOS,
FreeBSD, OpenBSD...

Easier-to-use: for some.

Easier-to-maintain: Do you want me to ask one my acquaintances who
admins 9x, NT, and Mac which is worst? The Mac is only easy as long as
everything goes right.

Less reliant on MS: Linux or FreeBSD is the only way to go for a
full-featured Intel-based without reliance on MS.
Apple received $100 mill from gates, remember.

(which matters to some), and home to more and better graphics and
multimedia software (still (NT was supposed to turn dig-vid industry but

That is still true.

it's mostly not happening)).  But you have to pay a little bit for it.
You are also more limited in your hardware expansion options.

_and_ your software expansion options, let's not forget.

Jasper