 Off-Topic / Debate / 16424
  Re: First entry in "predict the responses!"

(...) No, there was a rational reason for dropping those-- to end the war, and prevent even *more* widespread killing. And it worked. That is not to say that that call was a no-brainer. It was an agonizing decision to make, and truthfully, the (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  The Eternal Nuke Debate? (was: Re: First entry in "predict the responses!")

(...) This is the accepted wisdom, and no doubt that was a big part of the justification. But I don't think it was the only reason. (...) An interesting sidebar: Another point that's often been brought up is the less morally but far more (...) (22 years ago, 22-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: The Eternal Nuke Debate? (was: Re: First entry in "predict the responses!")

(...) I guess I am just trying to give some perspective to the "us vs. them" mentality that seems to pervade these discussions -- and I insist that there is no "us" and also no "them." Human being are capable of atrocity if pushed to a point beyond (...) (22 years ago, 23-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)