 Off-Topic / Debate / 15939
Re: The "Unknown" Santa Fe
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:19:30 GMT

This is what I thought 'begs the question' inferred.

By the way, an "inference" is traditionally made by the person who's doing
the reading/listening/interpreting.  You're thinking of "implied," which is
done by the person/thing making the statement.

Person A: Are you implying that I'm stingy?

Person B: Of course not!  Why do you infer
           that to be my intent?

These aren't iron-clad differences, but in formal use the distinction is
preferred.

    Dave!

Never let it be said you can't learn something from LUGNET.

I always thought one of the meanings of 'inferred' meant 'related to', like
the inherent properties thereof.

such as 'I thought that this particular thing inferred that'--read as--'I
thought this particular thing was related to that'

the inherent properties of the term 'begs the question' infers there is an
obvious question begging to be asked from the aforementioned statement.

To imply something means to say something without actually saying it --
'you're filling out those jeans quite well'--'Are you implying I'm fat????'

Tho now that I look at it, I like your way better, 'begging the question'
implies that there is a question to be asked.

Stay safe

Dave 'well learn-ed, edumicated, gramatically and politically correct' me