 Off-Topic / Debate / 15883
  Re: A hypothetical economics question...

(...) <Snipped> (...) You are assuming housing costs would not fluctuate in the 6 years in study, right? I mean, by the time they reach 100k the house cost a tad more... and in the meanwhile, they may have been experiencing other possible (...) (23 years ago, 28-Feb-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A hypothetical economics question...

(...) I hate to be overly harsh -- but you have no idea what you are talking about. The corresponding amount of paper money to precious metals is by definition in U.S. federal law supposed to be .999 fine 1 oz. silver for a dollar (it is essentially (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A hypothetical economics question...

(...) No harm done! I wrote "I think" and "I hope" for a reason! :-) (...) Ah, ok. My mistake then. In my place money is understood to have correspondance with central bank reserves (USD + Gold). Now it may have changed, with the new "Strong (...) (23 years ago, 1-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A hypothetical economics question...

I think you have been making some oblique references to the Euro. As far as I am able to discover, there was some talk about two years ago in regards to linking the Euro with gold in some ratio -- but I am unable to find anything recent that asserts (...) (23 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A hypothetical economics question...

(...) Completely aside from the issue of how it's supposed to be, I've been wondering -- why the 20:1 ratio? It seems like a bad idea to have a ratio instead of just gold certificates and silver certificates and maybe a daily exchange rate. Do you (...) (23 years ago, 4-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A hypothetical economics question...

(...) You raise an interesting point -- I gather you think the true value is best determined through daily market forces. I am pretty sure the point of a ratio rather than certificates traded for daily value has to do with making the value static. (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: A hypothetical economics question...

(...) rate. (...) Unless there's a reason that I'm missing, that's kind of my default thought. (...) Got that, but in a global economy it's a phantom concept. I could always trade across the border. Maybe it made more sense way back when before (...) (23 years ago, 5-Mar-02, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)