 Off-Topic / Debate / 15670
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:04:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
As far as I can tell, the cold war was wildly successful.  No one wanted to • end
life on earth.

However, western media was always pointing out how far we were ahead of the
russians, and I've no doubt they were saying exactly the opposite. Who has
greater abilities (or fire-power) doesn't matter, if either side *believes*
they can win.

Or worse, if either side can win and lose at the same time (destroying and
being destroyed).

The result of the cold war is probably more luck - no gung-ho cowboys got into
positions with enough power to push the button.

Good point. Just imagine the present day US president were in office in
1962, and his Soviet counterpart were Yeltsin. Brrr... :-/

From all reports, pushing the
button today would be just as deadly, so I don't think the "end of the cold
war" is all that significant, really.

In a way, there is an advantage: One does not wake up everyday thinking a
conflict is imminent. That is a great boost for my morale, at least. ;-)

Pedro