 Off-Topic / Debate / 15623
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:25:34 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:

I would suggest bringing a gun into his own home is no solution.
Statistically, who is he most likely to shoot with the gun?

/objective mode on

Well ignoring the propaganda on both sides of the Gun Control issue, and • using
indepentant statistics from Gallup Polls.

This is all applicable to the USA.
Roughly 10,000 crimes a year are committed with legally obtained guns. (It is
almost 10 times that for illegally obtained guns.) Roughly 2,000,000 crimes a
year are prevented by armed citizens.

How many are prevented by unarmed citizens?

Not very many. They would tend to get shot for trying.

How many times are guns used as a threat when there is no need?
Does that count as a prevented crime?

Only criminals use guns as a threat when there is no need.  That is why they
are criminals.

Statistically the easier it is to
legally obtain a gun in an area the lower the crime rate.

That is because statistically legal gun owners are white middle income
americans living in low crime areas.

All things being equal otherwise, in areas where it is eaiser to legally obtian
a gun the crime rate is lower.  This hold true in all econmic and social
classes.

Err. I live in a "middle income" area - crime is very low, and nobody has guns.

Can this be explained?

Scott A

/objective mode off

Gun Control has nothing to do with Guns and everything to do with Control.
A politicain can never take away the peoples rights, so long as the people • have
the ability to shoot him for trying.

Tell that to the guys in Guantanamo Bay. Tell that to those held without
charge in US jails.

The fact that there was no public uprising may be the biggest sign that the
Totalatarin factions in the US are winning the social War.

I shall ask again : "I would suggest bringing a gun into his own home is no
solution. Statistically, who is he most likely to shoot with the gun?"

No one.  99% of gun owners never have to fire their gun.  The threat of force
is usually sufficent.  The media is controlled by a small group of liberals.
You only ever see the news that will benifit that position.  The fact that
dozens of successful home defence senerios play out for every unsuccessful
senerio is often overlooked or ignored as a result.

This is not limited to just Gun Control issues either.  For example about 2
years ago a Homosexual was beaten to death by two "religous extremists."  This
was all over the media on the front pages of newspapers and the big story on
the TV news.  At almost the same time 2 Homosexuals lured a 12 year old boy
into their house, raped, and murdered him.  This was down played to the point
where it was a small story at the back of the paper and had barely any mention
at all on the TV news.  It was as if they were trying to pretend it never
happened.

Idealism is a great concept that will never work in the real world.  It relies
on ignoring half of the facts.  Social Engineering and welfare were supposed to
eliminate poverty.  For those that WANT better for themselves it has worked
perfectly.  It has also created a generation of lazy moochers.  Some of my own
relatives are like this and it angers me quite considerably.

-Mike Petrucelli.  (who digressed a bit)