 Off-Topic / Debate / 15596
Re: An armed society...(what if?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 18:25:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kirby Warden writes:
Why do I think this likely?  Because I just don't see enough people who are
willing to stand up and defend their rights and the rights of others.

  Maybe that's because most of us don't see those rights as being
  under assault?  This, even though we do understand those rights
  just as fully and completely as you do?

Yes, ignorance is bliss.

   So let's see, people who don't come to the same conclusion as you
   do, given the same evidence, are ignorant?  No--rather, I'd argue
   that you've determined the "truth"--or the end conclusion--before
   you went out looking for evidence.  I'm still waiting to see any
   evidence of a concerted government campaign to cow us.

Not too long ago I saw a video about several *conspiracies*.  Mentioned was
the seizure of properties (as highlighted in drug enforcement laws).  Here
are a few cases that were noted...

  I'd like a citation.  Name of the video, company that distributed,
  et cetera.  Just because it's on film doesn't mean it's true.  Video
  is an amazingly effective propaganda tool, because it doesn't have
  room for full citations or retracing of research, and hey, I SAW IT,
  AND VIDEO DOESN'T LIE.

Do a bit of searchin for search and siezure, confiscation, drug enforcement
law... the video had many conspiracy ideas, most of which were certainly
arguable.  I only sited the drug enforcement because I had not known before
how long these laws have been in effect.  I have done some research on the
matter but not enough to confidently send other people through the same
trail that I have gone.  The laws are real, the examples on the video were
certainly dramatized, but the facts are there none the less.  Do some
searching yourself.

   The examples on the video were dramatized, but the FACTS ARE THERE?
   Really?  It should be a small matter to find them out, then.  Do you
   have the name of the video in question, and if possible who it was
   made by?  I'd like to see this.  Where are the facts?  What are the
   facts?  Dramatization doesn't change the way those facts are read?
   Right.  And how old is this video?  (2000 saw a major reform in civil
   forfeiture law, as I've outlined below.)

   And if you're not confident to send other people to retrace the steps
   you found so compelling, then how can you be so sure of what you're
   peddling here?

  And isn't it also possible that these people aren't telling the whole
  truth about what they were doing and the grounds of the forfeiture?
  People often go looking for principles that will defend them and ways
  to bend the truth when they want to secure a favorable outcome--even
  if that means testifying to said same on film (though not under oath).

It doesn't take a lot of effort to find other examples.  The laws are on the
books.  They are enforced with a vengence because the authorities want to
get paid.  I didn't need the video to tell me this.  I already knew about
these laws.  Didn't you?

   I know about forfeiture and search-and-seizure laws, and in fairness
   I have a lot of trouble with them because they operate before conviction
   instead of afterwards.  But "They are enforced with a vengence [sic]
   because the authorities want to get paid"?  Who are these "authorities?"
   The DEA?  (Forfeitures provide an amazingly small percentage of government
   income overall--more of the enforcement arms' themselves, naturally--but
   less than half a billion dollars most years, which isn't that much money.)
   And if forfeiture is so incredibly important, why does the Government
   deal with undoing some of the identified problems:

   http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/legislative/sap/106-1/hr1658-h.html

   or the reform as passed:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=106_cong_bills&docid=f:h1658enr.text.pdf

   I'd argue that forfeiture law is aimed *against* the forfeiters rather
   than *towards* enriching the Treasury.  (Now, you can argue that the
   latter is coming to depend upon the income, but that's another problem
   and far from "intent.")  Again, why would this even be a matter for
   debate, if it were so vital to the secret plan?

   The proceeds of forfeiture:

   http://www.usdoj.gov/jmd/afp/02fundreport/FY2000AFPLinks.htm (which
   will take you to the figures and data; the 2001 report is not yet
   complete, AFAIK.)

   If you'll note, the expenditure of said funds is limited to certain
   categories of use.  That's no proof against juggling, but it shows
   that there's oversight going on.

  One of my biggest problems with lots of Americans these days is an
  inability to think critically, which I think is a very serious problem.

Thinking isn't enough.  Do some active research yourself.  Any sites I may
be able to give you will only be suspect because we already don't agree.

   I've done plenty of research, and I can agree on a lot of the tidbits
   of information you've cited--BUT where I disagree strongly is in seeing
   a pattern and a necessary conclusion that some "they" in (or behind?)
   Government have been plotting "our" undoing.  I've got to wonder, seeing
   this and the other branch where you invoke the Rothschilds as being
   behind the inception of the evil Federal Reserve, if you're going to
   start talking about ZOG and the _Protocols of the Elders_.  It's all
   eerily familiar.

   And as for thinking critically--I've been at it for a long, long time.
   I'm not automatically suspicious of any site you would give; but if
   you won't give any on that ground, I'm *immediately* suspicious.  I'm
   not the one making claims that some unified connection exists, so the
   burden of proof isn't exactly on me.  But don't expect me not to pick
   apart the sites--and cites--you give.  I'm a professional researcher.
   That's my job.

  What laws?  Which ones?  The ones that the video claims exist?
  Law can always be bent badly by bad enforcers of that law.

The search and seizure law as applied to drug enforcement is not being bent.

   In two of the three "examples" you give from the video, I'd argue
   that it very much *is* being bent.  Unless you can show me text to
   the contrary, of course.

It
  happened to minorities for *centuries*.

It has never been legal in this free society until recently.

   It = bending of the law to gain a certain selfish end.  And in
   that sense, yes, it's been practiced quite commonly--blue laws,
   voting tests, even vagrancy and loitering laws that are used to
   harass minorities in "white" areas.  But I presume your "it"
   is "civil forfeiture"--and again, that's wrong.  Civil forfeiture
   is an extension of English common law, and it's been legal as
   long as the US has been around.  The drug forfeiture corollaries,
   however, are indeed new, but they're under debate, and may yet
   (we can hope) be completely reformulated.

Misuse of the law by
  self-interested agencies or individuals is as old as time itself.

This law is not being misused.  Just the people's trust.

   Have you read the text of the laws in question?  (As a constructive
   aside, if you feel this strongly about these matters, you may wish
   to think about going to law school to change them.)  If I can locate
   a web-accessible copy of the forfeiture statutes themselves, I'll
   post them; otherwise, it'll have to wait until I have the time to
   go visit the depository.

  The thing that makes the conspiracists so wacky is that they
  detect some kind of goal or pattern behind it that's somehow
  newer or more sinister.

The laws are not made up from some whack job of a conspiracist.  The goal or
pattern is the need for more money, which allows for the means of greater
control.  Control is power.

   Nebulous "control" and "power"!  By whom?  Over what?  For what
   end?  "They" want our guns away, our money, our property!  Where I
   differ is that I don't see any "they," just a lot of little "I"s.
   It's typical of conspiracists to attribute some incredible competence
   and intent to the government as an overarching "them" that's not made
   up of individual Americans, but rather is some evil force (usually
   controlled by something sinister).  However, if you understood the
   world around you (which is full of governments far more extensive
   and/or corrupt than the US government, yet which do not impinge upon
   citizens' rights to do most anything) and the historical view (where
   what's going on today isn't nearly so anomalous, but is the result
   of hard lessons learned in the past), you might see that it's not
   nearly so sinister, or even *coordinated.*  What do you think the
   goal is?  What's the purpose?  Who are "they"?  The laws themselves
   don't mean anything more than what the laws state.  It's up to *you*
   to impart meaning to them, and I feel you're imparting too much.

   In short, as long as dissenting voices are speaking, there's very little
   peril.  It's when voices are being actively and deliberately silenced
   that one has to take notice--for example, Bush's closing of Presidential
   papers in perpetuity--that misdeeds may be going on.  I'd argue that
   our rights, and our country, are pretty healthy overall.  There's no
   need for scaremongering.

   best

   LFB