 Off-Topic / Debate / 15567
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:29:52 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tore Eriksson writes:
... is a society with countless tragedies!

Sorry Heinlein, your sci-fi books were all fantastic, but your ideas suck.

Since this has evolved into a gun control debate, I thought the original
message should be returned to.

"An armed society is a polite society," is the quote used often by gun
advocates to somehow indicate that politeness-by-threat is somehow
admirable.  The more complete quote (since some argue that Heinlein wasn't
implying a duelist-violence scenario):

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to
back up his acts with his life."

And, of course, manners may well be downright rude if the duelist has
uttermost belief in his/her ability to duel.  Formalized ritual may also
have allowed one plausible deniablity in the guise of politeness.  But then
again, Heinlein may have meant it somewhat tongue in cheek or as an
observation rather than as something admirable - I never read the book in
question so I'm not sure, and my brother (a big Heinlein fan) isn't
answering his phone (Beyond this Horizon?).

Anyway, it seems more interesting than the 2nd amendment debate yet again.  :-)

Bruce