 Off-Topic / Debate / 15563
Re: An armed society...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:47:33 GMT

Probably, but I guess our disagreement arises from the differing
probability that you and I perceive of the US Government becoming the
totalitarian machine that far-right and far-left paranoia often identify it
to have become long ago.

Actually, you would be missing the "duty" part of my argument in this little
debate. But whatever...

To fully understand the historical context of this debate, it is my opinion
that those on the side of gun-control should read William Blackstone's
"Commentaries on the Laws of England" (1765-1769), and James Kent's
"Commentaries on American Law."  I honestly think some of you have NO IDEA
what you are talking about.  You are stuck in the vacuum of what it is to
live a "decent" life in the modern U.S. -- yes, it doesn't suck, but it
could and should be far better.  And we are beginning to suffer the
consequences of greed unchecked by the rule of law (see K. Warden's post on
the subject -- those kinds of laws were done away with in England hundreds
of years ago, now they are back.  The 4th Amendment just got trashed, in
case you hadn't noticed!). What are the odds you will educate yourself in
this manner?

It is not my purpose to recapitulate my long and hard-won knowledge for
y'all here, not when you could and should just go to a law library and get
it for yourself.

-- Hop-Frog