 Off-Topic / Debate / 1549
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:39:12 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Why is that, exactly? Compare and contrast the unemployment rate in
Germany to that in Ireland. Factor of 4 difference. Why? What's
different, exactly? Discuss.

I thought we was comparing the US Economy to that of Europe's.
Ireland's economy is improving because of the peace agreement - money is
flooding in because it won't get blown up by terrorist ground strikes.
Germany however and to squeeze it's economy into the Euro and so
thousands of jobs were lost - it had to conform to the conditions of the
Maastricht Treaty - I can't remember what they are.

I'll bite. What? Why?

It goes bust! It's the way capitalist 'market forces' work.
The UK Economy is now specifically engineered to stop it booming but
also to stop it going bust mostly by strict control of inflation by use
of interest rates.

--
Carbon 60
ICQ # 5643170