 Off-Topic / Debate / 1539
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:45:33 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Assuming we step into Libertopia, and you and Ed shack up, the
government ought to treat you no differently than anyone else, right?
He can inherit your property when you die, etc.

What about corporations?  Does ACME Insurance company have to let you
guys on the family plan together or are they free, assuming they do
not approve of homosexual marriages, to require you to hold separate
single policies.  Or are they free to charge you a higher premium for
whatever reason?

Free to discriminate however they choose, for any reason or no reason at
all. They're not the government. The government, having a de jure
monopoly on the initiation of the use of force, is not free to
discriminate in any way shape or form.

Again, unfettered democracy is tyranny. Restricting a preexisting
business, a property owner, or a person from carrying out business of
any sort not otherwise rights violating at whatever time of day or night
is convenient for them to do so violates the takings clause of the
constitution, which was put there for a reason by the founding fathers.

Hrmmm.  What about community standards for how a building should be
built, which colors can be used, type and size of signs, etc?  I've
seen some pretty unusual looking Wal-Marts, and I assume they look
that way because of some sort of local "look and feel" code of some
kind.  Right or wrong?

Wrong, if it was the government that passed the regulation. Right if it
was a community association that WalMart had to buy into, or go to a
different community association with different rules.

All sorts of restrictions that are justifiable when imposed by contract,
where parties freely agreed, and have a market to choose from, are
unjust when imposed by majority rule.

lugnet.