 Off-Topic / Debate / 1537
Re: Government's role [Was: Re: What happened?]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 19:38:14 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Second, where does government come off favoring one lifestyle choice
over another? If I shack up with a horse, that's animal abuse, the horse
is not competent to enter into agreements, but if I shack up with Ed
Boxer and he's OK with that why do we get discriminated against? (1) No
sort of arrangment should be favored or frowned on.

Assuming we step into Libertopia, and you and Ed shack up, the
government ought to treat you no differently than anyone else, right?
He can inherit your property when you die, etc.

What about corporations?  Does ACME Insurance company have to let you
guys on the family plan together or are they free, assuming they do
not approve of homosexual marriages, to require you to hold separate
single policies.  Or are they free to charge you a higher premium for
whatever reason?

Again, unfettered democracy is tyranny. Restricting a preexisting
business, a property owner, or a person from carrying out business of
any sort not otherwise rights violating at whatever time of day or night
is convenient for them to do so violates the takings clause of the
constitution, which was put there for a reason by the founding fathers.

Hrmmm.  What about community standards for how a building should be
built, which colors can be used, type and size of signs, etc?  I've
seen some pretty unusual looking Wal-Marts, and I assume they look
that way because of some sort of local "look and feel" code of some
kind.  Right or wrong?

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)