 Off-Topic / Debate / 1535
  Re: Perl rules!

(...) Please. Where would we be if we had nothing but Apple and Steve "I'm a megalomaniac" Jobs to depend on? I remember hearing YEARS ago how superior the Mac was to the PC because at the time all it took to "network" a couple of Macs together was (...) (25 years ago, 17-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) From what I've heard, neither can NT, really. Especially since IE tends to store its cache in user space, which then gets transported right around campus over the network everry time someone logs on... Combine that with the 10 Mb ethernet (...) (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) You haven't seen Novell's Zenworks, I take it. It allows this for NT, 95, 98, yadda yadda yadda. (URL) Especially since IE (...) This is actually a network design issue, not a platform issue. Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 22-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) Hrmmm, some stuff gets transported, yes, but it would be relatively easy to severely limit cache size in the first place, even if you couldn't turn off zapping it over the net entirely, which I think you can. (...) Heh, I wish all our network (...) (25 years ago, 23-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:46:46 GMT, Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote: <roving desktops> (...) Well, I was trying to make a joke. Sorry, weong group, I know. (...) The problem isn't that the network can't handle the load, it's that it shouldn't _have_ (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) You're not thinking of the same kind of environment. I have to provide hundreds of workstations for tens of thousands of casual users. There's no such thing as a "local" anything when those users move around and use random machines at random (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Mac and NT networking (was: Re: Perl rules!)

(...) Whoever pointed out Zenworks was right. It's magic. And the Mac can too. I'm not our primary Mac person anymore so I don't know all the details but using MacIPX and Dave and maybe something else, they appear just as another workstation on the (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) I've heard a sysadmin rant about how IE & NT Do Not Approve of that. He apparently was getting it set back to default automatically. Very weird, but then again, NT is weird. I'll take `vi sendmail.cf` over "Start, Configuration, Configuration (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Perl rules!

(...) Exactly. There is such a thing as local, but it only lasts the session. Therefore, a local cache should not persist beyond the session. You could possibly supplement that with a smaller (as server diskspace is a hell of a lot more expensive (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jul-99, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.geek)