 Off-Topic / Debate / 15160
15159  |  15161
Subject:
If you're an AFOL and you know it raise your hand (WAS: Blacksmith Shop)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 04:29:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
Allan Bedford wrote:
I am NOT an AFOL, I do not find many of the things that make AFOLS giddy to
be very interesting to me.  I am adult who enjoys 'building' with LEGO.

Adult who enjoys 'building' with LEGO sounds like an AFOL to me.

I guess I'm just not fond of labels.  If someone else wants to call themself
an AFOL I have no problem with that... it's just not for me.

Besides, if you could see inside my head, view how my brain operates, you'd
realize that even labeling myself an adult is based on the age shown on my
driver's license and nothing more.  :)

What do
you think AFOL implies if it doesn't include this type of person?

I honestly don't know.  That's why I'm not interested in being called one.

I think any adult who has at least one of the following characteristics is
an AFOL:

- enjoys building with LEGO bricks
- enjoys collecting LEGO sets
- enjoys learning the history of the LEGO company
- enjoys talking about LEGO with other folks

I'd even go so far as to include folks who enjoy scouring flea markets
and yard sales for used LEGO and then putting it up for sale on eBay.

Hey, like I said... I really don't worry much about what people call
themselves.  If you want to be an AFOL, then by all means go nuts.  I
support you 100%.  But all I ask is that you respect my right not to use
this label.  I'm an adult who, yes, enjoys LEGO, but who really sees it
through the eyes of a 9 year-old boy.  When I'm building, it's 1977 all over
again.  I stop worrying about credit cards, cat litter, washing the car, you
name it.  I am flush with the memories and the good feelings that haven't
changed in 25 years.

One person who comes to mind immediately here is Uncle Dan in the SF/Bay
area.

I have no idea who you're talking about, sorry. Is this an inside joke or
something?

I guess the reason I go out of my way to mention that I'm not an AFOL and
not a member of the LUGNET community and not the type of person to ever
attend a Brickfest event (etc. etc.) is to remind people (hopefully the LEGO
company) that there are alternative opinions out there about their products
and the ways in which it is desired.  I guess I'm trying to make the point
that when I look at LEGO sets or buckets or whatever it is, it's that kid
brain of mine that's doing the processing... nothing like the way my adult
brain functions at work when I'm coding.

As I've gone out of my way to point out to Richie... I don't expect anyone
to fully agree with me. If they do, great.  But I'm not a preacher... I'm
not trying to convert anyone.  If you like the AFOL label, use it... I
support you fully and completely.  All I ask is the same respect in return.

Regards,
Allan B.