 Off-Topic / Debate / 1497
Re: What happened?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:49:04 GMT

Simon Robinson <simon@simonrobinson.com> wrote:
Not everyone has those advantages. You talk about people choosing not to
educate themselves, but if the Government doesn't spend some money to
make sure that people get the opportunity then a lot of people won't have
that opportunity to get any skills.

Hrmmm.  "if the Government doesn't spend some money to make sure that
people get the opportunity..."

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Pursuit.  Think about what that means.  It doesn't mean that you
receive a gift or some other product from the government.  It means
you pursue it.  You chase it.  You work for it.  Maybe, just maybe,
you buy a few less lottery tickets or less beer or cigarettes or do
without the premium cable channels and do something bizarre like pay
for classes or whatever to better yourself.

I don't know about you, but I see people (including myself - I'm no
saint) spending money on the most ridiculous crap all the time.  Every
new Nintendo64 game or Playstation game that hits the market.  Booze.
Calls to Psychics.

Anyone can save.  Anyone can save towards a goal.  Anyone can better
himself.  I just finished my last MCSE class (employer agreed to pay
for them one week before I was going to go take out a personal loan to
pay for them myself) and 3 of the 6 other guys in the class where
certainly not high-paid IT professionals.  They were average people
who were paying for the classes out of their own pockets to better
themselves.  One works as a parking attendant at an amusement park,
another is a salesman at a hardware store.  It can be done.

The poorest people in America are lightyears ahead of the poor in some
countries.

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)