 Off-Topic / Debate / 14678
Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 21:34:26 GMT

James Simpson wrote:

I'd like to give some thoughts on your last statement, but I really need to get
back to something here at work.  I'll just offer that impersonal laws of nature,
if they are the only plane of reality that truly exists, will never answer to,
amend, or soothe human suffering.

But why do you feel the need to have a crutch?

I believe a person is far stronger without a crutch, and religion is simply a crutch for
feelings people cannot handle.

Why is it so wrong to believe our "fate" is in OUR hands, and ours alone, and doing good is
an end in itself, not some ticket to some nebulous afterlife?

At best, they can turn a blank face to us which, though consistent, are nothing more.

Why is this a bad thing?  So many religious people seem to think it is, I do not.