 Off-Topic / Debate / 14675
Re: One of my issues with the god of the old testament
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:32:18 GMT

Sort of, but I'm not sure that I agree with it. Why should an infinite
being be constrained by our notions of impossibility, even if those notions
seem absolute to us?

I dunno. What makes you so sure that he shouldn't be? Is it a logical fallacy
to say that he shouldn't be? Is there a flaw with such a belief that makes it
invalid?

I'm also not sure about the practical equivalence of
math and morality: our understanding of mathematics is undeniably a creation
of man, but I would argue that it describes something demonstrably and
fundamentally external to man; our concept of morality is undeniably a
creation of man, but I would argue that it describes something that can't be
as readily demonstrated to be external to man.

Demonstrated, no. At least not within our abilities. But again, is there a
logical problem with the belief that morality is fixed "ulitmately"? Certainly
you've argued against relative morality-- would you argue for it here? I'm not
sure I understand the point of the objection...

And in any case, we're still left with the ability to conceive a being
greater than God--namely, a being that can perform a logical impossibility.

Again, I just don't see why that's a problem. Is such a thing necessary for a
Christian belief? I don't see anything but subjective objections to the idea...

DaveE