 Off-Topic / Debate / 14657
Re: trolling? (Was all that OT God stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:16:51 GMT

So what's trolling, then? Isn't it trying to sucker someone into debating
something? (albeit civilly or not) Was that the point of your sensationalism
on Jeremy's point? To get someone *else* to respond who was such a
fundamentalist? Not that I have anything wrong with trolling for things like
that in o-t.debate. You want to debate against someone who'll argue the
fundamentalist point, yes? I don't see anything particularly wrong with it,
excepting the general negative connotations assumed in "trolling"-- Why be
defensive about it? (1)

I see your point, but if (hypothetically) I call someone a bonehead,
there's nothing wrong with it either, except the connotation.

Well, the thing that's wrong with that is the fact that there's nothing *but*
connotation there. Being a "bonehead" is sufficiently without good definition,
whereas a "troll" post has a definition as well as a connotation. If Jeremy
only used the word to use the connotation, then yeah, be defensive. But
definition-wise he was right...

You took it correctly.  If any invitation to a debate is a "troll," then
the term isn't especially useful, but I'd admit that it would then describe
what I did.  To me, trolling is something along the lines of "vegetarians
are idiots," in which gratuitously inflammatory comments are made primarily
to incite frenzied response, rather than as a comment building reasonably
off of comments already on the debating table.

I guess that I just see it as the general suckering into response. It's just
that flat insults tend to work better at getting responses than well-tempered
comments. And of course, well-tempered comments are generally the quickest way
to quash flame fests...

DaveE