 Off-Topic / Debate / 14314
Re: Larry's behaviour
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:11:10 GMT

far more often than not, your one-to-one exchanges quickly disintegrate to
rhinoceros dominance.

So, if we had rules how would things get worse? Say we had a rule like:
"No name calling permitted" -  why would that be bad? Do you feel you have
to retain the right to call me a "rhinoceros"{1} from time-to-time?

Without calling into question your ability to read, I am obliged to point
out that I did not, in fact, call you a rhinoceros.  Further, I am indeed
entitled to call you anything I wish to call you, barring slander.  If you
feel slandered by your inference of rhinocerosness, I apologize to you and
to any megafauna that might likewise infer slander.
I would suggest that things would get worse because things would be bogged
down.  Very nearly everyone here is able to behave in a generally civil and
not-too-petty manner, so for those individuals formal rules are extraneous.
Do you suggest that we impose rules only on a few?  By whose arbitration?

{1} I rather like the things, we paid a fair amount of money to help protect
these ones from foot and mouth during the summer:
http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/rhinos.htm

They're almost unbelievable when you see them in person (in rhino?).  We
have a pair at our zoo, and it's hard to convince myself that they're real
and not some sort of armored man-made machine.

The ones near us had their last calf a year or so ago now (they are now too
old to safely have any more). The newborn calves are dream. Their feet are
huge, they look like they could never lift them. As the calves get older
they tend to challenge the adult male (their father). He does not like this
one bit, but as soon as he starts to get even a little annoyed… mum comes
over and shows everyone who is boss.

There is a wildlife park on the west coast which also has (had?) a rhino. A
few years ago Edinburgh used to have a dung-exchange-programme with that
park. One shovel of foreign dung in the Edinburgh paddock ensured a good
hour or two of pandemonium.

Scott A