 Off-Topic / Debate / 14310
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 03:09:58 GMT

By developing both the platform and the applications that 90%
of users want, MS gains a massive advantage over anyone who wants to develop
either a platform or apps separately.

Yes, yes, yes, it does.

But I'm still sort of missing how that's a bad thing.

Or I'm missing why it's not a bad thing... ;^)

By developing both the
engine and the transmission that 90% of users want, already preengineered to
work together, GM, Ford, Daimler, Toyota, et al gain a massive advantage
over those manufacturers who want to develop either an engine or a tranny
separately. Yet we still have the Rousch Racings of the world, developing
massively blown hemis that just take a little (!!!) work to bolt into your
Holden Commie. Or Falcon for that matter if you're determined enough.

How is that different, fundamentally?

Huge snip, while I actually print out Larry's post and think about it (scary
stuff). In the meantime, where did you pick up Holden "Commie"? Did someone
from Australia actually say that or are you just expressing a political
preference for Fords? fut .fun

I'm not trying to be difficult here, per se. I just don't get most of the
"obvious" arguments as being at all obvious, or even true, and I think a
healthy dose of "why"-ing might actually work to bring you and others to
wonder about it too. Besides, I'm entitled to a little "why"-ing don't you
think? Goodness knows I got enough of it from others.

So examine your premises. Why is dominance (without coercion) bad, per se?

I suspect that has a lot to do with my perspective -- I tend to see coercion
as implicit in dominance, at least in practise.

--DaveL