 Off-Topic / Debate / 14298
Re: A modest proposal from a modest person
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:23:12 GMT

As more of an aside, anyone familiar with perlmonks? They've developed quite
a good system for behavior that's rather similar. Each member gets to vote
on posts (nodes) in terms of how good/bad they are. Rather similar to what
we tried here with the rating system. Differences being that:

1. Each user only has a certain number of votes per day, so you can't go
downvote *everything* by another user.

2. Getting downvoted will occasionally affect the *person's* ranking--
random chance. Also, voting may positively affect a person's ranking (random
chance-- 1 in 4 chance I think?)

The person who posted or the person who is ranking?

Yes. If JimmyBob makes a post and JoeLuke votes the post as bad, JimmyBob's
rank has a 1/4 chance to go down, and JoeLuke's rank has a 1/4 chance to go
up. If JoeLuke votes JimmyBob's post as good, both their ranks have
respective 1/4 chances to go up.

3. The higher the *person's* rank, the more votes they get per day.

4. If a post gets downvoted enough, it gets reaped. I'm still not entirely
clear on how that part works, but it's to that effect.

How does this differ from Slashdot ratings (which I admit I have not closely
perused the mechanics of)??? It sounds kind of similar.

I really don't know-- I haven't really been exposed to how slashdot does
their ratings...

Dave!, DaveL, DaveE, or Dave Johann, depending on the week?
(1 out of 4 Dave's has a spiffy little sig!)

One out of 4 Dave's <blank> has a spiffy little sig, I think.

Er, oops, typo alert... 3/4 Dave's have spiffy little sigs...

What does the job pay?

Nothing, but you're guaranteed at least a 20% raise each year.

I want at least 50%.

How many grey tiles
would I get?

No, that's how many gray HAIRS would you get...

Obi-Wan style grey hairs? I've got plenty. I could use some more Dumbledore
grey hairs though. :)

DaveE

FUT fun