 Off-Topic / Debate / 14287
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:34:34 GMT

MS is not a monopoly.

It has competitors, and effective ones at that. MS is dominant in certain
market segments but since there are few or no barriers to entry other than
MS competence at making good product, the net result of MS dominance (not
monopoly) is that we pay less for OS and app than we would without them.

What about the integration between OS and applications? Different market
segments right? So why should one corporation be able to leverage its
products in one segment as a direct consequence of its dominance in another
segment?

Why not?

This assertion has been made in this and other antitrust trials but has not
been justified. I see nothing wrong with it. It benefits everyone to get
more efficient products. There are no barriers to entry, so dominance is due
to efficiency and product superiority. Those are good for the consumer.

I would contend that it _is_ a barrier to entry. No other application
producer has the same access to the OS. The efficiency accrues from
interactions between the OS and application packages, as much as from any
inherent superiority in the applications.

Secondly, preinstalling Office and IE on new Wintel machines minimises
consumer choice. Thirdly, OS/application "efficiency" makes it much easier
to compromise security  (and privacy?), cf Lovebug, Melissa etc.

Cf Nestlé. No doubt the TV dinner division benefits from the
business experience/influence of the coffee division, and for all I know
there may even be production synergies. But ( I hope) Nestlé can't produce
coffee that tastes better after one of their TV dinners, and worse after
anyone elses.

Why not? Are you saying it's not techically possible to do this (I don't
think it currently is, actually) or that it would be bad to do if it were? I
assume the latter and again, why not? I see nothing wrong with enhancing my
enjoyment of Stouffers if it's possible.

"Things go better with Coke" after all.

I need a pause to refresh my thoughts on this one while I digest your argument.

--DaveL