 Off-Topic / Debate / 14285
Re: A modest proposal from a modest person
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:25:59 GMT

How about 1a. Ban both of them from replying to each other (at least as a
trial measure)?

I'll give you a different proposal...

I'll forego replying to ANY post of Larry's, relevant or not, if everyone
else does too... and I'll hew to that just as long as everyone else can hold
out too. As soon as some regular slips up, (we'll ignore wanderers who
reply) it's over. That takes what Larry does completely out of the equation.

Fair enough. In fact why don't we take turns. Each time someone else slips
up it's the other one's turn not to get replied to by the group.

In fact, the more I think about this, the more I like it. It gives a very
strong incentive NOT to post irrelevant things, and instead to post things
that are so compelling that people want to reply to them.

As long as I'm the one "in the penalty box" any dross I post will be easy to
ignore for everyone else (ditto for Scott if he's in) BUT posting something
really engaging gets me out and puts Scott in. Now HIS dross gets ignored
but if he can come up with something great, back in I go.

It just needs a scorekeeper. I nominate a Dave (to be rotated).