 Off-Topic / Debate / 14278
Re: rules
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:46:25 GMT

Why not just institute basic formal debating rules? What is there to be lost
by doing that?

Key word "basic".

I don't think formal debating rules will work, here. The set I'm familiar
with are too formal (8 minutes for argument, 8 minutes for response, 4
minutes for rebuttal, 4 minutes for rebuttal response) since they're
structured for face to face debates on a specific topic.

There are more than one version of debating rules. I am sure ones could be
made which would suit this forum better than those which you mention. Do you
think otherwise?

I don't think the rules used in the US House of Representatives (which
require recognition by the chair, allocation of time, yielding of time, etc
etc) would work either.

Are there any others which you think won't work? Perhaps you should list
them all, then we can work on what is left?

No, something else would have to be tailored.

Indeed.

What's really needed though, are rules of behavior, not debate. I think we
all would chafe under debate rules, per se.

It may be an interesting exercise to propose a set that don't focus on
particular people.

I agree. But am I being paranoid in thinking you are aiming these at a
particular person? Can you not stop trying to wind that person up? What am I
to do now, produce a list which is aimed at a particular person? Then what?
More bickering? Have you no shame?

*sigh* Try to be constructive.

Scott A