 Off-Topic / Debate / 14164
Re: Future of Humanity (was: lotsa stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:47:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

We'd have to come up with some sort of practical interstellar travel • technique
first - the solar system's gonna get unlivable way before the death of the
universe. But (IMO) we're gonna be history way before that.

How do you figure?

In part it depends on your definition of "we". Humanity has "stopped
evolution" recently,

When? No-one told me...

Too early to tell for sure but we as a species have in part stopped evolving
because we have shut down most of the selection factors (disease, famine,
the birth defect effect on reproduction)

As for the survival of the race, we have to get over the next 100 and out
into the rest of the system (99+++% of the resource, energy and cubic exists
off earth). If we do that we're a lock. It matters not that there are not
hospitable environments out there. We make our own. It matters not that we
may not have FTL. We'll build arcs in hollowed out asteroids and send
generationships.

You're way too pessimistic.

But then, most people that ask the sort of repeated questions you do tend to
be pessimists rather than optimists.

Me, I'm an optimist, I have faith in our basic goodness and our amazing
cleverness. But then I'm American.