 Off-Topic / Debate / 13984
Re: Hiroshima-Was It Necessary?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:34:28 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Daniel Jassim writes:
I posted earlier in a different thread regarding this but now I'm thinking
it should have been a separate thread. Here is some background research
regarding the decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan:

http://www.doug-long.com/

Its actually pretty extensive and not something one can just skim over, but
makes a sharp argument and worth reading.

I haven't yet read the site (I dunno if I will-- depends I guess), but it
really leads me to wonder whether anyone out there actually *DOES* believe
it was "necessary"?

And on a related note, I also didn't see the movie Pearl Harbor. And I don't
really plan on it. When I saw the preview in theatres, I thought to myself
"Wow, what a terrible way to glorify our stance in WWII with respect to the
Japanese."

To that end, people have compared Sept. 11th to Pearl Harbor. Personally, I
think the two events were extraordinarily different in nature. I would
sooner have compared Sept 11th and Hiroshima/Nagasaki as both being
terrorist acts. Pearl Harbor was a calculated, well-executed, and highly
successful attack on the US's pacific fleet, not on civilians. We also knew
*exactly* who was responsible and were capable of military retaliation,
which is only true to a much lesser extent in the Sept. 11th event.

Anyway. Thoughts?

DaveE