 Off-Topic / Debate / 13977
Re: A N T H R A X - they aren't making this stuff in caves in Afghanistan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:21:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
(citing the Guardian)
==+==
In May 1989, large-scale anthrax production began at a factory constructed
at Al Hakam. Unscom estimated that Al Hakam manufactured 8,425 litres of
anthrax bacteria during the course of 1990.
==+==

Thanks for the cite. Does anyone know if this stuff keeps for 10 years in
powder form? Bacteria are quite resilient but 10 years is an aw'fly long time.

  The powder isn't bacteria.  The powder is *spores*.  And spores
  keep a long, long, long time--live spores nearly 8,000 years old
  have been pulled from ice cores in the last decade or so.

8000 Years! Pah, that is nothing compared to 250,000,000 years:
http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2000/10/19/front_page/ANCIENT19.htm

Scott A

(of course that cite just shows production capability, it could still be in
production, or Iraq could be totally innocent of this particular perfidy and
the site destroyed or out of production for years. Who knows?)

  Apparently it's possible to get small amounts of this stuff
  from supply companies in the US.  You'd need a way to make more,
  sure, but with bin Laden's deep pockets it's possible.

  Then again, it *could* be left over.  Or it could be an opportunistic
  attack from an antigovernment group here in the USA.

What I think is telling is the price/performance ratio here. For the cost of
a stamp and a little legwork (ignoring production cost), an entire country
is stirred up and tens or hundreds of millions spent on defense. Highly
asymmetrical, highly efficient of scarce terrorist resources.

  ...and it undermines public confidence in a major public industry.
  A government public industry.  What's worse, the powder from one
  of those letters, if it's leaking out through the seams as it's
  been said to do, could be spread around on *hundreds* or *thousands*
  of pieces of mail.  Aiiiee.  Let the US Government do your distribution
  for you.

  IMHO, this is the hallmark of this entire terror campaign--to use
  our institutions, our technologies, our fears, and our freedoms
  against us.  It's brilliant, but I'm convinced that they've really
  underestimated the power of our commitment to our ideals.

Evil != stupid

  Alas, true evil rarely is.  Were only bin Laden that dumb guy
  who leaves his wallet at the gas station he's just robbed...sigh.

  best

  LFB