 Off-Topic / Debate / 13944
13943  |  13945
Subject:
A N T H R A X - they aren't making this stuff in caves in Afghanistan
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 14:00:24 GMT

We now have Anthrax popping up in three different states, originating from
Malaysia of all places.  I doubt that we will be bombing Malaysia however,
as we well know that the source problem is in Afganistan.

I'm not sure we do.

Yesterday's Observer:
"Iraq 'behind US anthrax outbreaks'"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4276938,00.html
==+==
'Making anthrax, on its own, isn't so difficult,' one senior US intelligence
source said. 'But it only begins to become effective as a biological weapon
if they can be made the right size to breathe in. If you can't get airborne
infectivity, you can't use it as a weapon. That is extremely difficult.
There is very little leeway. Most spores are either too big to be suspended
in air, or too small to lodge on the lining of the lungs.'

(...)

In liquid form, anthrax is useless - droplets would fall to the ground,
rather than staying suspended in the air to be breathed by victims. Making
powder needs repeated washings in huge centrifuges, followed by intensive
drying, which requires sealed environments. The technology would cost millions.

US intelligence believes Iraq has the technology and supplies of anthrax
suitable for terrorist use. 'They aren't making this stuff in caves in
Afghanistan,' the CIA source said. 'This is prima facie evidence of the
involvement of a state intelligence agency. Maybe Iran has the capability.
But it doesn't look likely politically. That leaves Iraq.'

Scientists investigating the attacks say the bacteria used is similar to the
'Ames strain' of anthrax originally cultivated at Iowa State University in
the 1950s and later given to labs throughout the world, including Iraq.
==+==

Today's Guardian:
"Iraq stockpiled anthrax in run-up to Gulf war"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4277236,00.html
==+==
In May 1989, large-scale anthrax production began at a factory constructed
at Al Hakam. Unscom estimated that Al Hakam manufactured 8,425 litres of
anthrax bacteria during the course of 1990.
==+==

Scott A